Carbon Monoxide Tips To Keep Your Family Safe

Keeping our family safe is your number one concern. Our homes should be where we feel safe and comfortable. It would then make sense to get rid of anything that poses as a risk to our family, right? However nice that would be, unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to achieve. Why may you ask? Many things that we find so useful, actually have potential dangers that come with them. That doesn’t mean that we should be afraid of them. It is possible to use them while being confident that our loved ones will be fine. The trick is to be careful and educated. 

Carbon Monoxide (CO)
Our furnaces naturally create Carbon Monoxide, but it is usually released outside our homes. It is harmful to healthy humans when in large quantities. For those with heart disease and children, small amounts of this can already be damaging for them. CO denies the blood of oxygen.
 
Carbon Monoxide is odorless and tasteless, and our senses are virtually blind to it. However, we have created a way to detect this with the help of technology:
 

Carbon Monoxide Detector

 
According to the Center for Disease Control, Carbon Monoxide poisoning affects 25,000 Americans annually. A detector will make sure you and your family will not be part of this figure. It tracks CO levels and warns you if its at serious volumes. 
 
A Carbon Monoxide Detector could cost you as low as $20 to $50. It’s essential to have one on every floor, especially close to sleeping areas. We are much more oblivious to it while we sleep so make sure your detectors are loud enough to wake all of you. It would be best that these are placed 5 feet from the ground and not any higher. 
 
Experts advise that we replace these every five years to ensure that we’ve always got one that functions properly. Their batteries must also be changed often so that they’ll have power when they need it the most.
 

Prevention

Even if we’ve got something to warn us when for carbon monoxide, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to stop it from leaking. Schedule a routine check-up and maintenance with your technician yearly. Talk to them about your concerns on carbon monoxide and ask them if your furnace won’t be getting some of it into your living space.
 

Symptoms Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

In the unlikely event that CO poisoning does happen, watch out for these symptoms below. 
 
  • Fatigue
  • Headache
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
 
In larger quantities of carbon monoxide poisoning these are what we should look out for: 
 
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion
  • Incoordination of muscles
 
Severe cases may result in death if not treated right away.

How Ardmore Fresh Air Can Keep You Safe

These may sound scary, but don’t be. As long as you’re careful enough and keep in mind to always keep your system and detectors in good condition, everything will be fine. Heaters are important components of a home and we can easily benefit from these while avoiding the risks at the same time. Proper regular maintenance decreases the chances of worst-case scenarios. Schedule yours today with Ardmore Fresh Air by calling (847) 792-1019.